Samba into kernel

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Mar 23 11:37:02 GMT 2002

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 02:25:23PM -0500, David Collier-Brown wrote:

> 	Alas, Sun hasn't volunteered to work on this
> 	(I work for Sun, but in Canada, not for the
> 	kernel folks in California).  I agree
> 	it would be a real advantage, allowing better
> 	integration of SMB and NFS server farms, although
> 	probably not performance directly.

Yeah, that's a significant commercial disagvantage for Solaris
I'm afraid. I know that's why the VERITAS and IRIX folks did it - because
NetApp tout this as a big selling feature of their code (this is also
my fault but that's another story :-) :-).

> > Yes, but VERITAS didn't use any Samba code in-kernel, they added their
> > own code to Solaris and then modified Samba to call it.
>
> 	Would this general approach be useful in a
> 	Linux or BSD operating system?

Already done for Linux. I'm thinking of doing something drastic
to POSIX locks also..... :-).

Jeremy.