Samba into kernel

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Sat Mar 23 11:31:03 GMT 2002

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > There would probably be other benefits, such as
> > the opportunity to allow oplocks to interact more closely with UNIX
> > locking.
>
> You can do this without embedding Samba into the kernel. See the
> kernel oplocks code to support the IRIX and Linux versions of this.

	Alas, Sun hasn't volunteered to work on this
	(I work for Sun, but in Canada, not for the
	kernel folks in California).  I agree
	it would be a real advantage, allowing better
	integration of SMB and NFS server farms, although
	probably not performance directly.

> > We noted that Veritas already seem to have done this in the ServPoint
> > software (see their White Paper "VERITAS ServPoint Appliance Software for
> > NAS", pages 2 and 3).  This re-assured us that my thoughts were at least
> > partially sane.
>
> Yes, but VERITAS didn't use any Samba code in-kernel, they added their
> own code to Solaris and then modified Samba to call it.

	Would this general approach be useful in a
	Linux or BSD operating system?

--dave
Performance & Engineering      | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering, |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com