shelved files and SAMBA

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Fri Mar 22 15:23:15 GMT 2002

Just a question... Would it be possible to cache the icons only?

Assuming that you would be implementing shelved file support using a VFS
layer, would it be possible to detect--within the VFS layer--when the
access was for the icons only?  Perhaps by watching for byte-ranges or
particular calls that look for icons?

If you could do this, then the VFS layer would need only have the icon
itself on the fast storage.  The reset would be retrieved from slow
storage only if accessed.

Not sure how practical that is....

Chris -)-----