SAMBA access limits on HPUX??

Orwig, Paul PORWIG at PacificLife.com
Fri Mar 22 11:51:03 GMT 2002

Thank you, Rainer.

I received the same info from Reinout Wijnveen at Philips Semiconductors
with a correction from Eric Roseme at HP on the samba-requests list.

We ran a stress test this morning with nflock set to 5000 and the system
hardly noticed.

We estimate up to 300 users connecting when we go live.

Thanks again

Paul Orwig
Pacific Life

-----Original Message-----
From: DOELKER,RAINER (HP-Germany,ex2) [mailto:rainer_doelker at hp.com]
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 1:44 AM
To: 'PORWIG at PacificLife.com'
Cc: 'samba-technical at lists.samba.org'
Subject: Re: SAMBA access limits on HPUX??

"Orwig, Paul" <PORWIG at PacificLife.com> wrote on Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:48:21
-0800
>We are using SAMBA 2.2.3a on HPUX 11.0 and are running into a problem where
>after 30 sessions, noone else can access the shares.

Paul,
I did not see if anyone answered you jet.

All I can imagine might be perhaps the more extensive use of unix-locks for
samba2.2.x. I know from a customer who looked as samba2.2.3a with GLANCE and
saw that each smbd took approx 10 locks, whereas samba2.0.7 only took one.
Samba2.2.3 as well uses more file-handles.

So I'd suggest to increase nflock by "10 * #(of estimated smbd's)".

Also remember that each smbd consumes 1 proc in the proctable, you may rule
this by the maxusers marcro. maxusers affect nproc, nfile, and others. Our
prev. recommendation is to increase maxusers by the number of estimated
samba users.

for samba2.2.3a adapt nfile to triple the filehandles:
nfile = 16(nproc + 16 + 3* maxusers)/10 + 32 + 2*(npty + nstrpty + nstrtel)
(new is the "3 * " before maxusers)

Regards, Rainer