winbindd (3.0alpha17) memory leak?

Dan Coppock danno at stbernard.com
Wed Mar 20 14:06:09 GMT 2002

Are there known memory leaks in the latest winbindd?  Or perhaps another
question is, is wbinfo a proper example of how to be a good winbindd client?
If I put a loop around wbinfo, repeatedly authenticating users (wbinfo -a
...), I see winbindd's footprint in memory grow and grow.  Same thing
happens if it's only a single user, authenticated over and over again.

Anyone else seeing this?  It's an easy test to run.

I see that wbinfo, for some options, needs to SAFE_FREE the extra_data.  But
not for the auth and auth_crap calls.  Besides, wbinfo's memory freeing
behavior shouldn't effect winbindd's size...or could it?

Is winbindd (in 3.0) being heavily used in live environments?  If so, I must
be missing something.

I believe I saw the same behavior with 3.0alpha15.

My environment is FreeBSD 4.4, 'configure --with-winbind' and the following
smb.conf:

		[global]
		   winbind separator = +
		   winbind uid = 10000-20000
		   winbind gid = 10000-20000
		   winbind cache time = 15
		   winbind enum users = no
		   winbind enum groups = no
		   template homedir = /home/%D/%U
		   template shell = /bin/false
		   workgroup = OURDOMAIN
		   server string = Samba Server
		   hosts allow = 127.
		   load printers = yes
		   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.winbindd
		   max log size = 50
		   security = domain
		   password server = *
		   encrypt passwords = yes
		   wins server = 192.168.2.8, 192.168.1.8
		   name resolve order = wins bcast
		   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
		   dns proxy = no
		[homes]
		   comment = Home Directories
		   browseable = no
		   writeable = yes
		[printers]
		   comment = All Printers
		   path = /var/spool/samba
		   browseable = no
		   guest ok = no
		   writeable = no
		   printable = yes

So I run winbindd and nmbd(so as not to get the 'unexpected.tdb' warnings).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Dan Coppock
  St. Bernard Software