Next round of libsmbclient ...

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Mar 19 09:40:02 GMT 2002

Hi Folks,

Here are some ruminations on improvements to libsmbclient that are
motivated by discussions with Andrew Bartlett and my own current needs.

Andrew expressed a need to be able to create new connections to servers as
if you are pretending to be separate clients. I have also run into this
need.

I want to be able to write a single program that pretends to be, say, 100
clients, and then have each client open 1,000 files (all with oplocks) and
then force breaks and so on, and see if things break :-)

Now, the issues that concern me are:

1. Backward compatibility. Is it important at this stage?

2. API design issues. There needs to be a separate init routine that inits
the package. Then there needs to be a separate client_init routine, that
creates a new client and all the data structures it needs. This should
return a void * that is a handle to the client, and that handle is passed
to all the routines.

3. I need to be able to tell the library that I want to use OpLocks and
the sort of OpLocks I want to use.

4. Currently, if you are not in the library, it does not listen for
packets off the wire. I might need a separate thread or something that is
always interacting with the server (handling OpLock breaks ...)

All suggestions/ideas useful

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, rsharpe at samba.org,