debug level 10 log: NT4 Printer/spoolss problems.

Steven Mackenzie sjm at activenavigation.com
Mon Mar 18 11:45:37 GMT 2002

> > [Word 97 locks on NT4 when the printer dialogue box is opened if drivers
are served from 2.2.3a.]

> > Here are logs from an NT4 SP6 client (called PIPER) talking to an
> > HP2200dn printer on a Samba 2.2.3a (Mandrake RPM, 2.2.3a-6mdk) server
> > (called PRAWN). I've also attatched the smb.conf file. (It is a tar gz
> > file.)

> OK.  Couple of things.  Could you try to reproduce this using the latest
> SAMBA_2_2 cvs code?  2.2.3a had a bug which did not allow printer settings
> to be saved.  This might of caused Word to go into a loop of trying to
> issue SetPrinterData because it would never get set.

OK, grabbed CVS about 2 hours ago (2.2.4-pre). I made a set of RPMs, and
installed them on the test server, and this problem is fixed in your latest
source.

:)

I'm not sure that the fix is for the reason that you suggest, as I already
tested a patched 2.2.3a that had this in the chagelog:
- Patch 23 from CVS to fix saving changes in printer properties (-- Gerald
Carte
r)

This had the same problems as the previous 2.2.3a servers that I've tried.

> The latest 2.2 cvs also has some fixes for access control on printer
> handles which appears to be identical to how NT/2k enforces security.
> The new check is much faster than the code in 2.2.3a.
>
> I also just added some fixes for the printer chaneg notification code.

I think it may be the printer change notification changes that fixed my
problem -- I just noticed a *lot* of these messages in the NT (client) event
log from my last 2.2.3a test:
Printer Driver HP LaserJet 2200 Series PCL 6 for Windows NT x86 Version-2
was added or updated. Files:- \\prawn\print$\W32X86\2\HPBF3222.DLL,
\\prawn\print$\W32X86\2\HPBF3220.DLL, \\prawn\print$\W32X86\2\HPBF3224.PMD.

> Also try swapping the "default devmode" parameter from yes to no
> and see what effect this has.

No need now - are you still interested?

> > The Samba server is configured for domain security. The domain is
ACTIVENAV.
> Are you running winbind?  Just curious.

No. I want to set up a single machine (preferable a single database) for
Solaris, Linux, and NT logons, but I don't think winbind is the solution. Am
I wrong?

> > The Samba server is a clean install of Linux Mandrake 8.2 beta3, plus
> > updated Samba rpms.
> Mandrake RPMs?

Yes, 2.2.3a-6mdk, from a cooker mirror for the beta cycle that is just
finishing.