WINS & Samba

Anders C. Thorsen anders at cwd.no
Sun Mar 17 21:59:09 GMT 2002

This question should have gone to samba at samba.org.

from smb.conf man page

     wins server (G)
             This specifies the IP  address  (or  DNS  name:  IP
             address  for  preference)  of  the WINS server that
             nmbd(8)should register with. If  you  have  a  WINS
             server  on your network then you should set this to
             the WINS server's IP.

             You should point this at your WINS  server  if  you
             have a multi-subnetted network.

             NOTE.  You  need to set up Samba to point to a WINS
             server if you have multiple subnets and wish cross-
             subnet browsing to work correctly.

             See  the  documentation  file  BROWSING.txt  in the
             docs/ directory of your Samba source  distribution.

             Default: not enabled

             Example: wins server = 192.9.200.1

      wins support (G)
             This  boolean  controls  if  the  nmbd(8)process in
             Samba will act as a WINS server. You should not set
             this to true unless you have a multi-subnetted net­
             work and you wish a particular nmbd to be your WINS
             server.   Note  that  you  should NEVER set this to
             true on more than one machine in your network.

             Default: wins support = no

In plain english:

wins server = <ip address of wins server>
wins support = no # Means that samba will not act as a wins server.