Automatic backtrace [Was: Re: NetAPP/Samba 3.0/plugs]

John Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Mar 13 16:54:02 GMT 2002

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> But as what user?  And it must work perfectly across 30 different
> operating systems.  A sig11 that has us compleatly hosed must not be
> able to affect where/how we dump core.

Done on OpenVMS.  Traceback listings are available.  Core dumps just
require setting an option.

It would probably work even better if I stopped SAMBA from trapping
fatal errors to it's core dump routine and let the OS default handler
take care of it.

If I install an image with privilege though (setuid / setgid bits) I
have to disable the traceback listing feature.

> If we can somehow safely redirect a backtrace into the standard samba
> logfile then that would be great!

Can you redirect stderr into the logfile instead of closing it?

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only