[jra@samba.org: More info on opening up of CIFS]

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Mar 12 17:51:10 GMT 2002

----- Forwarded message from Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> -----

At :

http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=1884&a=23968,00.asp

This quote is interesting :

"The news follows Microsoft's announcement on Tuesday that
it would also license the core Common Internet File System
(CIFS) protocol "in a way that will allow other companies to
create their own implementation of core CIFS for use on non-Windows
client and server operating systems, on a royalty-free basis."

The term "core" is interesting here. Plus, this is something
they don't care about, as we've already done it. I bet this
is a possible response to the SNIA CIFS document and the
consent decree.

Jeremy.

----- End forwarded message -----