CIFS extensions for UNIX

John Newbigin jn at it.swin.edu.au
Mon Mar 11 21:43:02 GMT 2002

I have done a bit more work on CIFS extensions for UNIX in smbfs.  I
have had some success and found possibly some problems.

I have updated my patches to work against linux 2.4.18.  I have had some
problems with my patches failing fsx-linux.  For now I have reverted to
using smb_proc_trunc (which is a SMBwrite call).  This works but leads
me to beleive that there may be a problem with truncates using
SMB_SET_FILE_UNIX_BASIC.

I have a patch for SAMBA_2_2 which implements SMB_SIZE_NO_CHANGE and
SMB_TIME_NO_CHANGE.  I think it should be safe for machines with no 64
bit integer but I have only tested it under Linux i386.

The samba patch is here
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/smbfs/samba.diff4

I am currently building the patch for linux 2.4.18.  When it is ready it
will be available from here
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/smbfs/index.html

John.

--
Information Technology Innovation Group
Swinburne University. Melbourne, Australia