Writing Open Content Samba docs.

Christopher R.Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Mar 11 09:01:08 GMT 2002

If you are serious about writing a large-scale Open Content Samba How-To
document (and maintaining it) then I am sure you will get support.  My
recommendation for a first step would be to review what is currently
available and currently being developed.  I can provide a number of
pointers, and I'm sure others here can too.

Much of what is out there is good but outdated.  Using my own stuff as an
example, I know that the "Introduction to Samba" doc I wrote is very dusty
now.  (See http://us6.samba.org/samba/docs/SambaIntro.html)  There is a
lot of stuff on the Samba web page that hasn't been touched in a year or
more.  You might contact Richard and Paul about the "What is SMB?" and
"What is CIFS?" documents.

That's scratching the surface.  I'd also recommend looking at the jCIFS
list of links as well as the references listed at
http://www.ubiqx.org/cifs/References.html.  It would be really, really
nice if Samba had a more complete and authoritative set of references.  I
think what we have is really, really good (one of the best collections,
AFAIK) but I know it's missing some stuff.

In my own experience, there is too much out there to really get a handle
on it all.  A "Samba Documentation Project" shouldn't start with too much
ambition, but it would be really great to have such a thing.

Best of luck.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org