nothing personal: pleased to see your efforts

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sun Mar 10 02:42:03 GMT 2002

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> andrew,
>
> thanks for your comments.  they do, however, make me feel
> even more disappointed and distressed.
>
> i am sitting here absolutely shaking and almost in tears
> i am that upset by the content of your message.
>
> please therefore, and i really really have to emphasise
> this: please refrain from researching the TNG lists
> for information on how things work in TNG.

may I ask when you feel I last did this?   While I reserve the right to
do so, its not something I have made a habit of doing.

> alternatively, if you _do_ wish to continue to contact the people
> who are on the list please let me know and i will unsubscribe from
> the tng-users and tng-technical lists.

I will continue to discuss issues of consequence to both teams with
developers from both samba.org and samba-tng.org.

I will continue to provide my opinion on the relative suitability of
Samba and Samba-TNG when users raise this question.

I will continue to work with any developer interested in the integration
of Samba-TNG services into a HEAD infrastructure, because without this I
am convinced that Samba-TNG will die.

I will continue to work towards making it easier to run both Samba and
Samba-TNG on the same host.

> basically, TNG has remained static because there is no
> funding for its developers.  to hear that samba has
> corporate sponsors that pay for TNG's work to be duplicated
> is very, very distressing for me.

Little to none of TNGs work is being duplicated.  A lot of work is being
extended, but there is no corporate interest in the areas in which TNG
has any significant lead.  This has been the case for the last 9 months
I believe, when winbind and samsync made it into HEAD.

That said, I am at a loss to find many areas in which TNG has any
significant lead.  Given this, why would companies want to fund TNG
development?

> especially as i know that i can make and have made a significant
> difference to the speed at which development takes place - an
> order of magnitude increase.

You make this claim often, but I have not seen the evidence to back it
up.

> now, if samba has more money then of course it's going to
> move forward - that's the way things work!

Some members of the Samba team are employed - but much of the
'interesting' work is still being done by volunteers - myself included.

> if you can get those corporate sponsors to contact me and
> pay me money, i will help you out.

I have not asked you for assistance, nor do I have the resources as a
private individual (and a student for that matter) to 'pay you money'.
I hold no sway with the employers of other team members.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net