utmp stores IP not hostname

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sat Mar 9 15:55:02 GMT 2002

ian j hart wrote:

> I would like to start using wtmp for recording
> logons. This is with 2.2.3a under FreeBSD 4.5.
>
> It appears that session.c doesn't do a name lookup
> and so the IP address is stored in the wtmp file.
>
> <quote>
> /* Don't resolve the hostname in smbd as we can pause for a long
> time while waiting for DNS timeouts to occur.  The correct
> place to do this is in the code that displays the session
> information. */
>
> hostname = client_addr();
> </quote>
>
> Fair enough, but, we have dynamic IP addresses.
> Quite often I need to check on some "mischief" which
> happened many days ago.

This is why I 'fixed' this in HEAD, I wasn't aware it had been broken in
2.2 as well.  I've just looked at HEAD again, and I'll be making a
couple more changes.

> e.g. spoofing email sender.
> Since the hostname is in the mail header I can use
> "last" to find who was logged into the box at that
> time. I need to be able to do this even if the IP
> address has changed.
>
> Two questions:-
> Does the tdb support storing IPs AND hostnames (Or
> will this corrupt it)?.
>
> Is there a drop in function for the line of code above.
> A function like...
>
> char * client_hostname(void);

That should be fine, the function is 'client_name()'.  In HEAD I made
this conditional on 'hostname lookups = yes'.  This paramater needs to
be moved into 2.2.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net