Spoolss permissions, NT & XP print driver misery (2.2.2/2.2.3a/2.2.4pre)

Johannes Tyve johannes.tyve at sgu.se
Wed Mar 6 04:48:04 GMT 2002

Some experiences from our enviroment:

We have about 30 printers, all HP. Our printserver is a Solaris 2.6 box with Samba 2.2.2. Printer drivers are uploaded to the server.

All LaserJets are working with WinNT Postscript drivers but not with PCL drivers.
All DesignJet (Plotter) are working with both PCL and PS drivers.
No DeskJets are working with drivers installed on server but with driver installed locally.
All printer drivers uploaded to the server are from HP.
Some users also uses PS drivers from Adobe. Primary our DTP department. They have drivers installed locally.

We tried to use Samba 2.2.3a but that created a day of caos. All printer driver information on the server was lost and we had to downgrade to 2.2.2 and upload the drivers again to get back on track.

The real downside is that there is noone in the Samba team that replies to the diffrent print issues. Other issues has always been handled extreamly well by the Samba team

Regards,
Johannes.