Win2K client joining 3.0 HEAD server success + problem

Hayden skhay at googoltech.com
Mon Mar 4 18:35:04 GMT 2002

Hi All,

    First off, just want to report I have successfully joined Win2K
clients to a domain hosted by 3.0 HEAD as PDC.  I'm only using good old
UNIX password authentication, i.e., no ldap,pam, etc.  No Active
Directory stuff has been tested.  Unicode filename works flawlessly (big
smile here).  Have not, and do not plan to use unicode username.

    There were some problem when joining a machine to the domain for the
first time.  As suggested in
http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb/ldap-smb-2_2-howto.html, a line "use
spnego=no" has to be added or else the same error describes in the web
page occurs.  Don't understand the logic behind it.

    Some problems though:

    (1) I  have some problems with user privilege.  I have done all the
group mapping using smbgroupedit to map unix groups to the Domain Admins
group.  Yet I don't get the privileges.  In fact, I have a feeling I am
log on with the lowest possible guest-like privileges when I log on as I
can't even change the view of explorers, etc.

    (2) Extrememly poor performance after I log on to domain.  Opening
My Computer to list the drives takes almost 5 seconds to complete!!
 Icons for each drive (both local and network) pops up one by one in
almost 1 second interval.  Not to mention my CD-ROM icon is gone
mysteriously.  Same thing happens when browing through windows explorer.

    I will work on the user privilege problem soon, maybe try using
ldap/Active Directory and report later.  For the performance problem, I
have no clue how to track it down.  Any help is appreciated.  I can't
let Win2K runs on a 1G Pentium with a performance of a 486 :)

Hayden