record locking behavior

Marc Jacobsen Marc_Jacobsen at hp.com
Mon Mar 4 16:04:05 GMT 2002

I have noticed that the way Samba handles client requested record locks has
changed (for the worse IMHO) as of Samba 2.2.0.  Often when a client requests an
exclusive (read-write) record lock, a shared (read-only) UNIX byte range lock is
created, while with Samba 2.0.X a more appropriate exclusive (read-write) UNIX
byte range lock was created.  This causes big problems with locking integration
between UNIX/NFS and CIFS clients (the CIFS client expects that nobody else can
read, but UNIX processes and NFS clients can).

This is due to the fact that with Samba 2.0.X files were always opened
read-write (if at all possible), but as of Samba 2.2.0 files are not always
opened as read-write.  Thus files are often opened read-only, causing exclusive
record locks to be mapped to shared UNIX byte range locks (see the
map_posix_lock_type() function in source/locking/locking.c).

This could happen in some situations with Samba 2.0.X, but happens much more
often on Samba 2.2.X.  My question is if this was known, expected and deemed
acceptable, or is this behavior a surprise and considered to be a bug that needs
to be fixed?

Thanks,
Marc Jacobsen