read_socket_data: recv failure for 4

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Fri Mar 1 14:28:20 GMT 2002

Hello all,

I've previously posted questions about read_socket_data: recv failure
for 4 and have been receiving (with alarming regularity) requests for
information about how to solve the problem, like this one:

I have samba running on a solaris 7 box and yesterday, for the first time,
on two seperate occasions, people were kicked off, and the log file filled
with the following messages:

[2002/02/28 15:03:54, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_data(477)
  read_socket_data: recv failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer
[2002/02/28 15:03:54, 1] smbd/service.c:(583)
  s03985 (10.16.26.85) closed connection to service faktor_5
The stress is upon me. I have got to somehow work out what is wrong before
monday, and only the weekend lies between me and that dreaded day. Any help
would be greatly appreciated. FYI, samba is using an NT box as a password
server, and the samba/solaris box is on a different network to the clients
who experienced this problem yesterday.

Unfortunately I don't remember how I fixed it - I think I changed a
handful of (not necessarily samba only) settings and restarted to
resolve it. I recall something about name resolution - perhaps DNS PTR
records?

Suggestions?

Sam

--