[Slightly OT?] Performance of SMB over WANs

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Fri Mar 1 12:08:12 GMT 2002

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 01:34:17PM +0100, Urban Widmark wrote:
> > However, Microsoft networking runs at ***1/10th*** that amount! i.e. SMB
> > transfers are a fraction of FTP transfer rates.
>
> MS to MS?

Doesn't matter. MS to MS, smbclient to MS, smbclient to smbd.

> If the linux smbfs client is involved in any of your tests then it is
> expected that performance of raw transfers will be poor. It is doing
> something like this:

<nice explanation deleted>

So are you saying that SMB is pretty poor over a WAN and that (basically)
there's nothing to worry about? My concern is that our choice of using IPSec
instead of Frame-Relay has caused this "problem". From what you're saying,
SMB will perform worse over any WAN link as the latency increases...?

--
Cheers

Jason Haar

Information Security Manager
Trimble Navigation Ltd.
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417