Some additional questions about benchmarking CIFS servers

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Jun 21 10:08:07 GMT 2002

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 02:25:41AM +0930, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> To what extent do people feel that these are relevant to a CIFS benchmark,
> and what other areas have I missed.

Well in defense of NetBench (I can't believe I'm saying this :-)
it doesn't attempt to give full coverage of SMB, that would be
the job of a conformance tester. It only tries to shovel data
to the server as fast as possible, trying to create "realistic"
capacity situations.

Just having a simple, Open Source/Free Software benchmark that
would do the same would be a good start, we can argue about
how to extend it once we have buy in that the new benchmark
makes a good NetBench replacement (ie. can we get the magazines
to run it instead of NetBench).

Jeremy.