Large file size issues with Samba client.

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Jun 20 18:37:04 GMT 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Steven French wrote:

> FYI - The CIFS VFS handles large files and has been tested with RedHat 7.3
> version of the kernel.  It was a pain to test due to the lack of sparse
> file support on the Linux side (I had not seen an equivalent to the sparse
> flag on the Linux side - but it sure helps on the Windows side in creating
> test files).

What lack of sparse file support?

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=aa bs=512 count=1 seek=1024
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
$ d aa
-rw-rw-r--    1 puw      puw        524800 Jun 21 03:26 aa
$ du -h aa
8.0k    aa

There is no flag because it is always supported (given filesystem
backing, and all unix-like filesystems support it). Just truncate it to
the size you want it to be.

/Urban