UTF-8 support and other quirks in the LDAP backend (in 2.2.4).

Jim McDonough jmcd at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 20 04:34:26 GMT 2002

>We don't have the infrustructure to do it for 2.2, but when jmcd gets
>the ADS end in, it should not be too hard.
>
>The idea is to always bind as LDAPv3 (currently we don't, I'm told) and
>to 'pull' all strings in from UTF8 to 'unix' charset as they come out of
>the packet.  Likewise to 'push' them into UTF8 as they go to the wire.
I tried to comment on this yesterday but the stupid connection here at the
sales conference at which I'm lecturing is only 16.8 Kbit.. :-(

I've got this coded up in HEAD, now it's just a matter of testing the
changes and verifying 1) I didn't break anything basic; 2) I'm not
converting anything I shouldn't be; and 3) things actually get converted.

I've made a few changes in the API, though...first, simplifying the
ads_mod* interfaces (shrunk by ~100 lines), and giving the functions passed
to ads_process_results() and ads_do_search_all_fn() the ability to specify
whether values should be converted or not...so testing that I've not killed
anything is important.  I travel back home today, so hopefully I'll have it
in sometime Friday.

----------------------------
Jim McDonough
IBM Linux Technology Center