max smbd processes

Esh, Andrew AEsh at tricord.com
Wed Jun 19 08:42:03 GMT 2002

When I run the Samba tool "testparm" to test the setting of my smb.conf
parameters, my "status" setting is defaulted to "Yes". This means the only
way to set it to "no" is to set it that way in smb.conf, or in one of the
files smb.conf includes. Either that, or there is a bug with the error
message, or a bug that is changing the setting of that parameter at run
time. Nothing changes it deliberately, in the 2.2 code.

While checking the code, I see that there is an assumption that when the
global point "tdb" is null, it is because the status parameter was set to
"no". If the tdb pointer is null because of some other failure, this message
is misleading.

Perhaps there was some other sort of file system error when
"connections.tdb" was opened. Here is how it's opened.

utils/status.c, 642-650:

	tdb = tdb_open_log(lock_path("connections.tdb"), 0, TDB_DEFAULT,
O_RDONLY, 0);
	if (!tdb) {
		printf("%s not initialized.\n",
lock_path("connections.tdb"));
		printf("This is normal if an SMB client has never connected
to your server.\n");
		if (!lp_status(-1)) {
			printf("You need to have status=yes in your smb
config file\n");
		}
		return(0);
      }

Here is how the error message in question occurs:

smbd/process.c, 827-831:

		if (!conn_tdb_ctx()) {
			DEBUG(0,("smbd_process_limit: max smbd processes
parameter set with status parameter not \
set. Ignoring max smbd restriction.\n"));
			return False;
		}

lp_status should probably be tested there, in order to choose the right
error message.