UTF-8 support and other quirks in the LDAP backend (in 2.2.4).

Fredrik Ohrn ohrn at chl.chalmers.se
Tue Jun 18 09:50:02 GMT 2002

Hello!

We are currently migrating from using a smbpasswd file to LDAP.

One problem we uncovered is that the backend needs to convert all strings
stored in LDAP to/from UTF-8. This mainly affects users real names which
look quite borked if they contain non 7bit ASCII chars. Some LDAP servers
will let you use any charset but OpenLDAP likes to enforce UTF-8 (also the
LDAPv3 standard mandates it).

Binding to the LDAP server with v3 of the protocol would be nice, since v2
is deprecated in OpenLDAP v2.1 (OK, so v2.1 isn't ready for prime time
yet, but it's still nice to get it done).

Sane defaults need to be added for optional attributes, for example
pwdMustChange ought to be never if it's not present in the users
record.

My question is if anyone is actively working on the LDAP backend and if
the above problems will be fixed soon. Else I will start working on it
myself and submit some patches.

Regards,
Fredrik

--
   "It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of computers by
   the sense of accomplishment you get from getting them to work at all."

Fredrik Öhrn                               Chalmers University of Technology
ohrn at chl.chalmers.se                                                  Sweden