Trusted Domains

Esh, Andrew AEsh at tricord.com
Mon Jun 17 12:13:03 GMT 2002

When a Samba 2.2.4 server is in Windows domain which trusts other domains,
how does the Samba server become aware of the domain controller host names
for the other domains?

I am using security = domain, and the Windows domain is controlled by a
Windows NT server which is also running WINS. On the Windows side, I can see
that the WINS server has static listings for domain controllers in each of
the trusted domains, and it has the trust relationship set up correctly for
each domain.

On the Samba side, I can use "wbinfo -m" to list the names of the trusted
domains. I can use "nmblookup -U ip_of_main_domain_controller -R
TRUSTED_HOST_NAME" to look up the IP addresses of the controllers for the
trusted domains, so WINS is working for the host names. I can't look up the
domain name and get either a controller host name or IP, though. That's my
problem. Is there some other way to resolve the trusted domain name into an
IP address?

Why do I need to do this? Because until I have the name of each trusted
domain mapped to an IP address in /etc/lmhosts (or through WINS or DNS),
wbinfo -g and -u only show local domain groups and user names. Samba does
not appear to have any way to find controllers for the trusted domains.

Am I missing something? Is the Windows domain controller supposed to forward
my group listing request and show the trusted ones too?

---
Andrew C. Esh                mail:Andrew.Esh at tricord.com
Tricord Systems, Inc.
2905 Northwest Blvd., Suite 20        763-557-9005 (main)
Plymouth, MN 55441-2644 USA      763-551-6418 (direct)
http://www.tricord.com - Tricord Home Page