[Fwd: Finger problem on Solaris with 2.2.4 (PR#24659)]

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Jun 17 10:18:03 GMT 2002

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 12:24:34PM +0100, David Lee wrote:

> So my trial implementation was:
> 1. "smbd" to create/delete "/dev/smb/n" as a "named pipe";
>
> 2. "smbd" then to include this in its "select()";
>
> 3. anything appearing on "/dev/smb/n" to be sent to the client PC as a
>    WinPopup, using code very similar (and potentially common) to
>    "smbclient -M".
>
> As a proof of concept it solved the "who" problem, and added this extra
> wall/write functionality.

Unfortunately this is harder to do right than it appears. Even tridge
created a bug when this was done for the select/kernel oplock code
(it's finally fixed for 2.2.5).

To do this easily requires a proper "event" mechanism. I know how
to do this, but currently lack the time to code it up.

IMHO we need the even mechanism in smbd before we can start
adding stuff like this.

Jeremy.