[Fwd: Finger problem on Solaris with 2.2.4 (PR#24659)]

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jun 17 04:01:03 GMT 2002

Simo Sorce wrote:

> I think this bug may interest the list and someone can have some ideas
> on why under solaris finger gives problems and under irix not.
>
> ATM I have neither solaris nor irix boxen here.

This the --with-utmp on solaris bug  :-)

See the discussion in Feburary of this year (2002) on adding support to
samba for a 'w' listener and the creation of psudo-devices to make
finger, utmp and samba 'play nice'.

The correct fix is to add a 'sesion exec' command (and the matching
'sesion exec close' etc that would creat such a device and listen for
such requests.

Or write a PAM module - the hooks already exist.

As long as you don't try to make smbd create these 'devices' I don't
care how you do it :-)

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net