need help deciphering log.nmbd...

Christopher R.Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Jun 14 08:53:03 GMT 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 09:35:56PM -0500, Ryan Mak wrote:
> does anyone know what the following means?? thanx. -ryan

Yes.

> [2002/06/13 20:08:45, 0] nmbd/nmbd_responserecordsdb.c:find_response_record(236)
  ^ Timestamp                   ^Source code module      ^Function name       ^Line No.
>   find_response_record: response packet id 15479 received with no matching record.

What the error message means is that an NBT packet was received by the
nmbd daemon which was not expected.  This is typically caused by a
Windows/95 box (early rev) on the wire.  The most common problem:

- You use nmblookup to send a query to the W/95 box.
- The W/95 box sends the reply to the wrong port.
- nmbd picks up the response, and is surprised to receive it because it
  did not send the query.

> [2002/06/13 20:08:45, 0] nmbd/nmbd_responserecordsdb.c:find_response_record(236)
>   find_response_record: response packet id 15480 received with no matching record.

In theory (I have not tested this) I suppose that this could also indicate
a name conflict somewhere on the wire.  I would need a packet trace to be
sure what is going on, but that's the basic idea.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org