Netbench and Samba 2.2.1a

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Thu Jun 13 05:37:01 GMT 2002

  A colleague who runs a benchmarking group noticed something
bizarre lately: while working with Netbench 7.0.2 running against
Samba version 2.2.1a on RH Linux 7.2 on a 2xPIII 1400Ghz machine...
| I can "net use f: \\lab39\files1" OK to the Samba shares. I
| can use WordPad to read and write files into the directory on
| the Samba share. I just can't get Netbench to initialize and
| use the share. It errors out saying "SetCurrentDirectory to
| f:/alters. Failed"

The workaround is to use security = share, rather than domain,
but the implication is that something is incompatible in
2.2.x with Netbench.  As this is a popular benchmark (however
flawed), it may come back to bite us!

Has anyone on the team a netbench setup they can try, to see
if this is reproducible with the newest Samba?

--dave c-b
Performance & Engineering      | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering, |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com