Problem exporting NFS volumes via Samba 2.2.5pre1

Andy Tai lichengtai at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 11 13:22:03 GMT 2002

Hi, I am using Samba as a gateway to export NFS
volumes to Windows clients.   I am using GNU/Linux
(Red Hat 7.2, kernel 2.4.18) on the NFS server.  I use
another box (same configuration) to mount the remote
NFS volume locally, and this box also runs samba
2.2.5pre1, export the local directory (on which the
NFS volume is mounted) as CIFS shares.  My problem is
that when using smbclient to access the CIFS share, I
can get a directory listing (using ls) which always
follows by a "Error in dskattr: code 0" and then the
smbclient no longer works.  That is,
in smbclient, after connecting,

do

smb:\>ls
.
.
[file listing]
.
.
Error in dskattr: code 0
smb:\>

The same problem exists in Samba 2.2.4.

When using Windows clients, it takes a long time to
display the directory contents, and then the Explorer
window will keep hanging.

Thanks for any solution to the problem.