problem samba and overflow root process

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Mon Jun 10 07:11:07 GMT 2002

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Alain Defrance wrote:

> i'm using samba Version 2.2.1a with solaris 5.8
>
> sometime i have a lot of smbd process own by root (more than 200 !) and
> they grow about one by second !
>
> i don't understand why !!!
>
> smbd is lauching by inetd...
> have you some ideas ?

The earlier versions of Samba 2.2.x had several problems under Solaris.
In particular, processes gobbling all available CPU, and the number of
processes multiplying to many times what would normally be expected.

What you describe is a "well-known problem", experienced at several
Solaris sites (ourselves included).  These problems have gradually been
eliminated in later versions of samba.

I would _strongly_ recommend you to move to at least 2.2.3a.  Almost
certainly you should go further, to 2.2.4 .

Hope that helps.