samba 2.2.5-pre and solaris 9

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Fri Jun 7 10:16:08 GMT 2002

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Gerald Carter wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Toomas Soome wrote:
>
> > [112] tsoome at muhv:samba/source> gcc --version
> > 3.0.2
> >
> > [113] tsoome at muhv:samba/source> uname -a
> > SunOS muhv 5.9 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
> >
> > ld: Software Generation Utilities - Solaris Link Editors: 5.9-1.343
> > /usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- E
> > usage: ld [-6:abc:d:e:f:h:il:mo:p:rstu:z:B:CD:F:GI:L:M:N:P:Q:R:S:VY:?]
> > file(s)
> >
> > I added -v to get ld information.
> >
> > somehow configure set DYNEXP=-Wl,-E in Makefile and this is the source
> > of this problem of course.
>
> Ahh...so its a problem of using gcc with the solaris linker.
> I don't know of any way to determine the linker other than some
> gross hacks and scripts.  Is this really that popular of a
> combination?

Is it an issue, perhaps, with Solaris *9*'s ld?  (This version, 9, of
Solaris has just been released within the last week or so.)

Toomas: can you do the equivalent with Solaris 8 (and/or 7 and/or 2.6)
and contrast with Solaris 9?

Gerald:  I also have this vague recollection, going back into the dim,
hazy and distant past when I used to look after our "gcc" installation,
that gcc had a preference for being installed with native as/ld etc.  on
Solaris.  (I may, of course, be entirely wrong here:  indeed, I have just
done a "gcc -v..." on our current installation (maintained by someone
else) and it seems to invoke the GNU ones!  Ah well...)

Can Dave-CB shed any light on Solaris "ld", including any possible changes
in the new Solaris 9?