problem lsa-lookupnames does not look at pdb-rid

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Thu Jun 6 20:31:02 GMT 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Gerald Carter wrote:

> > > So the bottom line is that if you set the rid attribute to be something
> > > that does not match the algorithm, things break?  This little code resuse
> > > would be one problem :-\  Should be a full search based on the rid value.
> > > I'll look into it.
>
> Volker, If I check some code in to fix this later can you test it in the
> bext day or so?

Sorry.  Looks like this is so broken in SAMBA_2_2 it cannot be fixed.
Unless someone has an extremely clever way to correct it (that
doesn't break everything else), i'm going to leave 2.2.5 broken
in the same way as 2.2.4.

The problem is the lack of storing rids for groups as well as users.
Currently we always have to generate the rid for a group using an
algorithm and this leaves no guarantee that it will not conflict
with one stored in the passdb.  More of a database consistentcy issue.

We will get thsi fixed in 3.0 (if it is not already).

Bottom line for now is to never set a rid in a passdb
that is different from what the current algorithm will generate.

cheers, jerry