Heads up warning on 2.2.5

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Thu Jun 6 15:17:07 GMT 2002

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Gerald Carter wrote:

> Folks,
>
> We're working very hard towards a 2.2.5 release on Friday.
> Just wanted to keep everyone informed.  I'll try to freeze the
> code Thursday evening to give people time to generate packages.
> If I'm good, I'll have the tarball already done and will just
> work on release notes Friday.  We'll see.... :-)
>
> This is the last planned 2.2.x release if all goes well.  There
> might be a few more minor bug fix releases after this one, but
> we really want to focus on 3.0.

A couple of unexpected bug have caused us to push this off a
few more days.  The main reason is that there are a few changes
will really should be heavily tested.

Therefore I will be doing a 2.2.5 pre1 prerelease.  This is not
necessarily a release candidate or even a beta release.  We just
wanted to attract as many testers as possible.  If all goes well,
we are working towards a official 2.2.5 release sometime next week.
Look for the prelease RPM and tarball in the next day or so.

The main things we are trying to straightened out are

  * some missing documentation,
  * a few linux kernel issues,
  * various ldap patches,
  * and possible patch to the recycle bin

A small reminder that this is planned to be the last 2.2.x release.
The 2.2.x branch has been a fun trip, but 3.0 awaits. :-)
Keep your fingers crossed.

cheers, jerry