problem lsa-lookupnames does not look at pdb-rid

Gerald Carter jerry at
Thu Jun 6 15:09:01 GMT 2002


So the bottom line is that if you set the rid attribute to be something
that does not match the algorithm, things break?  This little code resuse 
would be one problem :-\  Should be a full search based on the rid value.
I'll look into it.

and before bartlt says anything....i realize that things like 
already work in HEAD :-)

 run the search by rid.
static int ldap_search_one_user_by_rid (LDAP * ldap_struct, uint32 rid,
                            LDAPMessage ** result)
        pstring filter;
        int rc;

        /* check if the user rid exsists, if not, try searching on the uid 

        snprintf(filter, sizeof(filter) - 1, "rid=%i", rid);
        rc = ldap_search_one_user(ldap_struct, filter, result);

        if (rc != LDAP_SUCCESS)
                rc = ldap_search_one_user_by_uid(ldap_struct,
                        pdb_user_rid_to_uid(rid), result);

        return rc;


On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE wrote:

> Hash: SHA1
> > Can you give more details. I don't understand the problem from
> > this description. I'd like to ensure the ldap backend works
> > correctly for PDC/BDC purposes in 2.2.5.
> Sorry for being vague.
> PDC/BDC is not the problem. w2kwks is my Windows 2000 Workstation that
> wants to join the domain. Look at the rid field. It does *not* match
> the algorithmic mapping from uid=1004, which would give 3008. I set
> the rid by accident to 3005. I thought this should work, but it does
> not seem to, as the algorithmic setup is spread around everywhere
> except for example in srv_samr_nt.c/line 1400 (SAMR_OPEN_USER) where
> the rid is looked up in LDAP.
> Now I do a rpcclient against a PDC that works against this LDAP backend:
> rpcclient $> lookupnames w2kwks$
> w2kwks$ S-1-5-21-1893519152-2010502013-2030181751-3008 (1)
> rpcclient $> samlookuprids 3005
> rid 0xbbd: unix_group.1002 (4)
> rpcclient $> samlookuprids 3008
> rid 0xbc0: w2kwks$ (1)
> The workstation tries to change its password by doing a SAMR_OPEN_USER
> on the rid it obtained from an lsalookupnames call. This fails.

More information about the samba-technical mailing list