VFS problem

Jim Myers myersjj at us.ibm.com
Sat Jun 1 09:32:01 GMT 2002

I'm trying to write a VFS module that uses the conn->vfs_private problem.
It appears this field is never referenced in existing Samba code and is NOT
initialized in vfs.c:vfs_init_custom.

It appears to me that this function needs the following line added:
      conn->vfs_private = NULL;

However there is a further design problem. There is no way for a custom VFS
to properly initialize and cleanup as there is no first-time call that
allows access to the conn structure, nor is there a cleanup call to free
any memory pointed to by vfs_private.

I would think it would be could to add the conn structure as a parameter to
the custom VFS init function: vfs_init and and a new cleanup call as well
so the associated memory could be freed.

Jim Myers
IBM Almaden Research Center
B3-239, 408-927-2013