recent cvs-samba-3.0s and bugs or features

Lars O.Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Tue Jul 30 05:10:06 GMT 2002

Hi list,

again, I have to ask a question about problems using samba 3.0 - although I
know that the cvs sources are not for production... ;-)

I have a version of mid-july up and running, with the accounts in smbpasswd.
However, I have two problems, one with group mappings, one with adding
windows 2000 clients to the domain.

I have my unix group users mapped to Power Users with smbgroupedit. As we use
German windows 2000 clients, this group is named "Hauptbenutzer" on the
machines. But the domain group seams not to be in the local group (Power
Users is not listed in Hauptbenutzer). Is it necessary that the domain group
exists at the time the client is added to the domain? The machines joined the
domain when I had a samba 2.2-pdc, so I didn't have a power users group at
that time. Do I have to re-join the domain, so that the clients can add the
domein group to their local group? That's how I understand the howto from
samba-3.0.

The second question is about joining the domain. Has the code providing this
functionality been broken in recent cvs-versions? I don't get my machines
into the domain any more, while the machines I had in my 2.2-domain still
work fine. BTW, will I still have to use the roor-account to add machines to
the domain?

So, basically, I would like to know if these things SHOULD work, so that I
can continue finding the problem, trying new cvs-versions etc....

Thank You, CU, Lars.