multiple nmbd claiming the same netbios name?

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Fri Jul 26 11:42:02 GMT 2002

it is simply not possible that multiple nmbd have the same name
netbios dictate that a machine have to defend it's name and if
everything works correctly only one machine (or better said ethernet
interface) should have a name.

If for some netbios failure it happens that two machines get convinced
that they have a name then results are unpredictable, clients may
connect to the first one they have seen or bounce from one to another or
whatever.

I think however the Chris may reply with more accuracy to this question,
I'm looking forward for his wise reply :)

Simo.