Build requirements

Alexander Bokovoy a.bokovoy at sam-solutions.net
Mon Jul 22 11:42:02 GMT 2002

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 02:06:43PM -0400, Max TenEyck Woodbury wrote:
> > Also, RH has a package named rpm-redhatdb or something like this. It
> > contains additional RPM database with all RH packages installed (only
> > database records are there of course). You can use it for resolving
> > dependencies against whole distribution.
>
> I knew about that. Its main problem is that it can't contain information on
> updates that have not been installed, and probably does not contain information
> on the installed updates. It's useful information, but not quite as useful as
> it might be.
Well, you always can update it using --justdb option during installation
of an update and pointing to a different RPM database.

> > Unfortunately, you can't use it as is for RH because package naming scheme
> > is slightly different as well as RPM macros but it surely will reduce your
> > amount of work because you'll end up repeating much of its functionality
> > by hands (or self-written scripts).
>
> I certainly intend to build upon others work where possible. RH's name scheme
> is complex and a bit more flexible than some people realize. For my own work,
> I use a variant that contains a bit more information than their unmodified
> scheme. I'd be interested in looking at what you've done, and I may have some
> suggestions if you're interested.
We are using common libification rules for packages so that it makes
easier to split functionality:

foo -- some utilities
libfoo -- shared library which those utils use
libfoo-devel -- development parts of libraries except static libs
libfoo-devel-static -- static libs for libfoo-devel

Using this throughout distribution simplifies development.

> > query string is 'rpm-utils*alt'.
> > One URI will be
> > http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=4&idpl=284400&idpa=284400 (take a
> > source package).
>
> Thanks. I can't get this done immediately, but probably some time soon.
No problem :)

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
---