Build requirements

Alexander Bokovoy a.bokovoy at sam-solutions.net
Mon Jul 22 10:35:34 GMT 2002

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 01:02:17PM -0400, Max TenEyck Woodbury wrote:
> 2) extract the dependency information from the distribution.
> 3) extract the .spec files for RH samba and rpm.
> 4) compare RH's samba .spec file with yours. Also, your 2.2.5 and 2.2.3a.
> 5) identify what belongs in the BuildRequires section.
>
> I was thinking that anything already in the rpm-build requirements could have
> been dropped, but I realize now that that would have made the correctness of
> your builds dependent on the accuracy of the rpm-build spec. I'll try to make
> the list as complete as possible, and annotate which build options require which
> additional packages. I suspect that this will have some impact on the binary
> requirements as well.
BTW, for each sub-package you can specify its own BuildRequires. This
works with RPM 4.x at least. This is primarily for cases when sub-package
building is wrapped by '--with-foo/--without-foo' options available in RPM
(see documentation for more). So you may put BuildRequires more fine
tuned.

Also, RH has a package named rpm-redhatdb or something like this. It
contains additional RPM database with all RH packages installed (only
database records are there of course). You can use it for resolving
dependencies against whole distribution.

Also, take a look at rpm-utils from our ALT Linux distribution. It has a number
of utilites to ease management of BuildRequires. In particular, buildreqs utility
calculates all build dependencies needed for a package during build in a
larger installation than is really needed for build (kind of automagical
finding of 'minimal' subset of BuildRequires).

Unfortunately, you can't use it as is for RH because package naming scheme
is slightly different as well as RPM macros but it surely will reduce your
amount of work because you'll end up repeating much of its functionality
by hands (or self-written scripts).

You can find a mirror with it using RPM PBone: http://rpm.pbone.net/,
query string is 'rpm-utils*alt'.
One URI will be
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=4&idpl=284400&idpa=284400 (take a
source package).

> I'm not an expert on all the configuration options, and the choice of options
> will change the dependencies. I'm almost certainly going to need some help with
> this. I'll do what I can to get this started, but it may be something that one
> of the core SaMBa team is going to want to maintain over the long haul. Of
> course, that will be your choice.
Just start with default options set as in Samba Team's sample spec file.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
---

 	- Andrew Morton