How to *use* multiple GigE adapters into a single PC

bdavids1 at gmu.edu bdavids1 at gmu.edu
Mon Jul 22 07:25:01 GMT 2002

ServerWorks Grand Champion HE chipset supports dual Pentium 4
processors.  There's 3.2 GB/s to each proc, and with quad-interleaved
DDR memory, you've got a 6.4 GB/s memory bandwidth.

Compaq's DL530 and ML580 seem to fit what you're looking for.  They
have 4 100MHz 64bit PCI-X busses.  The ML580 has 7 64-bit PCI-X slots.

For a single processor system, I think the FSB becomes the bottleneck,
at 3.2 GB/s (that's GigaBit, right?).  So that would be 400
MegaBytes/sec.  (4) 117 MegaByte/sec connections would be 468 MByte/sec.

How does DMA fit into all of this?  Can data be written/read to/from
disk into a buffer via DMA, and thus not eat up FSB bandwidth?  Same
question for the networking.  I know, that's more a question of what
the drivers do - I'm just writing down some of the questions going on
in the back of my head...

Ok, so the disk system really would be the bottleneck, unless you had a
really big RAM drive or most of the file requests were for data already
in cache.  For testing that shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.serverworks.com/products/GCHE.html

Brian Davidson
George Mason University