Build requirements

Max TenEyck Woodbury mtew at cds.duke.edu
Sun Jul 21 10:25:01 GMT 2002

Richard Sharpe wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Max TenEyck Woodbury wrote:
>
>> I was trying to build 2.2.5 from sources on a RedHat 7.3 system. It bugged
>> out after the configure. This is probably because some of the header files
>> it expects are not present. (Disk space is tight on this particular machine
>> and I've tried not to install anything I don't have to on it.)
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> Q1: What packages are required to build SaMBa that are not also required to
>> run it?
>
> GCC and glibc-devel come to mind.

Yep, but I already had those installed, so there are other requirements. I
did a 'rpm -qR samba-common' on a RH 7.3 system and pulled in the '-devel-'
variants of the libraries listed. I also pulled in 'libtools'. The build is
in the compile stage now. (That machine is an old 486DX2, so it takes it a
while to do anything. It makes a fairly good net admin server though.)

>> Q2: Shouldn't these be listed in the BuildRequires section?
>
> Ahhh, a volunteer. Great. Please send your patches to Jerry.

Sigh. I should have noted which packages I pulled, but didn't. I remember that
I pulled in 'libtools', pam-devel and ssl-devel but I don't remember their
exact names. I suspect that 'patch' and a number of other packages that I'd
loaded to do a kernel build are also needed. There may have been one or two
more. And, yes, this is a small part of the SaMBa project I'm already working
on.

(Update on that project - VMWare and a large disk looks like a way to do
multiple target package builds. I'm still trying to get VMWare installed
properly, but I've got too many things going at the same time, what with
trying to find a day job.)

A lot of package don't provide complete requirements lists. This is not a
problem unique to SaMBa.

mtew