FHS support in HEAD?

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Thu Jul 18 14:07:01 GMT 2002

Hello,

Early last year, a patch was accepted into Samba to add a --with-fhs
option to configure.  For OSes that aspire to follow the FHS (which
includes most Linux distros, AFAIK), this is a good thing.
Unfortunately, the original patch didn't make Samba's paths completely
FHS-compliant, and things have decayed since then to the point that
current CVS's terminology and usage bears little real resemblance to the
FHS.

Is anyone within the Samba Team interested in seeing this FHS support
updated and fleshed out?  I'd be happy to supply patches to do so, but
if there's really no interest, I may as well create a local patch
instead and spare myself the effort of making this mesh nicely with the
default directory layout.  One way or the other, the patch will be there
for Debian's sake, and of course I'd rather see this cleanly integrated
upstream (for the benefit of other Linux distros as well as for our
own benefit), but that would depend on someone on the inside being
willing to follow through on it.

Thanks,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer