Posix Extended headers ...

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Tue Jul 16 07:07:02 GMT 2002

Hi Joerg

NT uses a different security mechanism than unix

The only security token available is the SID (no uid no gid)

The SID can identify not only users but also groups and maybe other
entities. And you do not know, given a SID only what it is exactly.

And there are also chances that at the time of backup you are not able
to know what a SID exactly is for a number of reasons (for example the
Domain controller this SID came from is down).

SID should be universal (eg: no 2 identical SID can exist in the world).

RID is only the variant part of a SID inside a machine, all users of a
machine/domain are different by the RID (Relative ID).

So backupping by SID ONLY is the way to go, take it as THE identifier to
use.

Hope that's enough currently,
Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l.
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399