cvs commit: tng/source/include debug.h tng/source/lib debug.c

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba-tng.org
Sun Jul 14 15:22:11 GMT 2002

elrond,

you would do well to examine the freedce debug
system.

remember also that it's a BSD-style license (OSF 1.0)
so you can use the code.  [which will save a lot of time].

debugging options are specified at service start-time:

./rpcserverservice -d0-20.39-41.42

the debug #defines are listed in freedce/include/rpcdebug.h
and there are about 45 of them.

one of them is for IDL memory, another is for security purposes,
another is for temporary memory, another is for yacc,
another is for the BSD-style communication subsystem,
another is specifically for TCP under the BSD-style
comms sub-sys, another for UDP.

basically every sub-system under the sun in freedce has its own
debug #define number, and you specify the numbers at run-time
of which one(s) you want to view.

the DEBUG macro has one extra argument - the #define
listed in freedce/include/rpcdebug.h.

i recommended this method to andrew over eighteen months
ago.

like everything else i recommended, he rubbished it and
its usefulness to samba.

despite it having been implemented in several development
independent programming environments before and after
freedce.

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 09:15:41PM +0200, Elrond wrote:
> elrond      2002/07/14 21:15:41 CEST
>
> Modified files:
>    source/include         debug.h
>    source/lib             debug.c
> Log:
> Updated debug system.
> Most of this new system is by me, and head has tested it
> some weeks/month for me. ;-)
> It includes dynamic registration of debug levels and makes
> some things a little more cleaner.
>
> After the cvs update, you have to do a complete recompile.
>

> Revision  Changes    Path
> 1.7       +8 -11     tng/source/include/debug.h
> 1.14      +295 -78   tng/source/lib/debug.c

this message is private, confidential, and is intented for
the specified recipients only.  if you received in error,
altered, deleted, modified, destroyed or interfered with
the contents of this message, in whole or in part, please
inform the sender (that's me), immediately.

if you, the recipient, reply to this message, and do not
then receive a response, please consider your reply to have
been lost or deliberately destroyed: i *always* acknowledge
personal email received.  please therefore take appropriate
action and use appropriate protocols to ensure effective
communication.

thank you.