smbtar and win2k rights

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Jul 11 17:58:04 GMT 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Manuel Guerrero wrote:
>
> > Hello List,
> >
> > I have a Win2k-Server and a Linux-Server. I want to backup the Win2k
> > Files on the Linux Box with smbtar.
> >
> > It works quite well. But when I try to restore a file it happend that
> > the rights on that file are set back to default (everyone has full
> > rights).
> >
> > Is it possible to backup the rights/ACL from Win2k to?
>
> It is possible, but there is currently no defined way, I believe, to store
> the SEC_DESC in the tar file. However, Star does this, perhaps in a
> non-standard way.
>
> > Where are the rights/ACLs stored on the Win2k box?
>
> They are stored in the file system. We would need to add a cli_get_secdesc
> and a cli_set_secdesc call, and then arrange for smbclient to make those
> calls for each file on save or restore, and save them as TAR header
> records.

Well, it turns out that there are cli_query_secdesc and cli_set_secdesc
routines already in Samba, and there is an obvious place to put these
calls in smbclient/clitar.c ...

All that remains is figuring out a TAR header type to write them as, and a
small matter of programming. There should probably be a flag to switch
them on and off :-)

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, rsharpe at samba.org,