Status Codes.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Jul 10 15:25:04 GMT 2002

I am working on figuring out error codes in SMB.  Anyone with a quick
rundown, I'd appreciate it...

I note that in the Leach/Naik draft it says that the NT LM 0.12 dialect
can return 32-bit error codes, depending upon the state of one of the
capabilities bits.  It then goes on to specify only DOS error class/error
code combinations.

Another oddity... In the older X/Open docs, as well as the SNIA CIFS doc,
there is a small amount of discussion about dialects which support OS/2
error codes (also 32-bit).

So, I'm wondering...

- What is the relationship (if any) between OS/2 status codes and the
  Win32 32-bit status codes?

- Are the 32-bit codes preferred?  In the Samba code, I note one place in
  which 32-bit error codes are forced (in smbd/error.c) under certain
  circumstances.

- Is the list of error codes in include/nterr.h the best available
  (probably)?

Clues welcome.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org