[Draft #2] Samba 3.0 roadmap...idmap storage & central idmap repository

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jul 9 14:09:24 GMT 2002

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 03:32:50PM -0400, Michael Sweet wrote:

> In addition, no matter what Unicode representation is used, you
> still have to deal with different representations of the "same"
> character (is it a single character "a" with an umlat, or "a"
> plus a combining umlat character?, etc.)

Only Apple does this to my knowledge. Microsoft does not
use compose characters in their UCS2 on the wire. I'm
voting with MS on this one :-).

But Simo, I disagree about the internal rep. I think it
needs to be utf8 for Samba internal strings. We already
have to deal with mbcs issues - this doesn't make it any
worse.

Jeremy.