[Draft #2] Samba 3.0 roadmap...idmap storage & central idmap repository

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Tue Jul 9 11:54:01 GMT 2002

Hi metze,
on top of the first doc I see you state that all strings should be utf8.
I hearteadly disagree, I woul d rather like to see all internal strings
on new code to be UCS-2.
Utf8 has many disadvantages:
1. require any RPC requests that comes from clients to be converted
forth and back (UCS-2->UTF8->UCS-2)
2. Is difficult to manipulate UTF8 strings as they are variable lenght
multibyte chars and sometimes uppercase chars have different lenght than
lowercase chars.

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l.
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399