What NetApp does when sharing files between Windows and UNIX

Kenichi Okuyama okuyamak at dd.iij4u.or.jp
Mon Jul 8 17:18:02 GMT 2002

Dear Richard and all,

RS> Then, from the UNIX side, I created FOO~1.C. This succeeded! Under
RS> Windows, I got FOO~~1.C. Interesting.

?

According to
http://www.netapp.com/tech_library/3014.html

It says that they have two names managed on their file system WAFL,
UNIX-style and NTFS-style.  When you requested for creating file
"FOO~1.C", they looked at UNIX-style file names, and found no file
named like so.

So, WAFL accepted "FOO~1.C" as new Unix-style file name. And since
so, they had to create new file name of NTFS-Style, and named it
"FOO~~1.C".

I don't really know if creating NTFS-Style filename "FOO~~1.C" out
of UNIX-Style name "FOO~1.C" was correct (compatible against NT) way
or not.

But I see nothing inconsistant.....

Maybe section 4.1.3 and 4.5 will help understanding their system.

regards,
----
Kenichi Okuyama